A reluctant call to action leads to something greater

Photo Courtesy of the Student Government Association - Brittney Held looks forward to continuing her studies after graduation.

Student Government Association Vice President Brittney Held will be walking the stage soon. “I initially joined SGA kind of kicking and screaming,” said Held, “My best friend Alissa (Ainsworth), she heard the elevator pitch at Island Launch our freshman year. She really wanted to join SGA so I ended up joining the first year council and really finding out what SGA is.” Ainsworth helped bring Held out of her shell. Held recalls that Ainsworth’s charisma and outgoing personality helped bring out Held’s own charisma.

Held went to Gateway College Preparatory High School in Georgetown, Texas. She enjoyed the smaller classroom settings while also joining a service-based organization known as Key Club, her student council and the national honors society.

She fell in love with the SGA after seeing what goes on behind the scenes and how the SGA helps and works for the students. Held started taking leadership roles when she became the Vice President of the First Year Council soon rising to the First Year Council Director before becoming the Vice President alongside President Sarina Garcia.

Held strives to become a social worker and plans on going for a master’s degree. Although she would love to remain at TAMU-CC, the program is not offered at the university. She hopes to get into UT Austin or UT Arlington. UT Austin is close to her home in Pflugerville, Texas while also being a renowned university. UT Arlington also offers an online program “They do a whole lot of really great simulations of social work and on top of that their field placements are really great,” said Held, “A huge problem that I’m wanting to tackle while at grad school is substance use disorder. … A lot of it is very stigmatized and people don’t fully understand how addiction works.”

Held faced the added stress of changing her major during her college career. She initially started as a nursing major, making C’s. However, when she changed to psychology her grade saw a massive improvement. “You definitely do feel trapped into a major after you get a certain number of hours,” said Held, “It was very difficult, but I’m glad that I did it and it was 100 percent worth it.”

During her time at SGA she was most proud of their campus safety walks and the work orders she created that was then submitted by Dr. Lisa Perez, the SGA faculty advisor. She was also happy with the success of the recent Caught in the Crossfire town hall that SGA and Island Waves put on.

Held has many fond memories of her time at TAMU-CC. “Last year Islander Lights was really fun. Getting to watch June and Connor flip the switch and also just being around a group of friends was really fun and inspiring. The entire week of homecoming is always fun. Friday Fiesta was very stressful for SGA just because of how much work was put into it. But it was nice to see everything pay off.” Held looked forward to Friday Fiesta, Islander Lights and Late Night Breakfast yearly. “Late night breakfast is always really cool. I’m a big waffle eater.”

“This school has really opened my eyes to how important it is to leave your impact somewhere. Helping at least one student, one faculty member, one departmental org. … Just helping out another person really helps not only you, not only gets your priorities straight. …It’s just a good thing to do,” said Held.

Held will continue her education after she walks the stage after this semester. It is clear through the way her colleagues speak about her and what is said during the senate meetings that she is leaving behind wonderful memories with her SGA colleagues.