SGA senate meeting 11-11-19

The SGA met for their second to last meeting for the fall semester. Speaker Morell Jenkins spoke about the start of the spring season and what would be happening during the spring semester. Jenkins spoke about wanting to do a “speaker series” for the SGA to provide as much information as possible on what is going on at the university.

After the speaker’s report, Jaclyn Mahlmann, the Vice President for Finance and Administration, spoke to the senate about the increase in designated tuition in the A&M system. An engineering and computer science differential was also requested by A&M, with the legislature granting three million dollars to establish the programs.

A College of Business program fee will also be added for individuals who reside outside the state of Texas taking online courses. These students will be charged the usual non-resident rate. “The reason why we can do that is because those non-resident students living outside of the state of Texas taking our courses do not qualify for funds through the legislature,” said Mahlmann.

Mahlmann also spoke about the autonomous vehicle that will be coming in the spring. The university has partnered with the Corpus Christi Regional Transit Authority to train the autonomous vehicle along its route. ParkMobile will also be implemented, allowing the use of an application to pay for temporary parking.

Mahlmann told the senate that the plan to bring sushi to The Cove may see a delay, as Chick-Fil-A has informed all the campuses that they are located on that they will need to provide their entire menu or they would pull out. “We are trying to figure out how can we adjust the cove area to accommodate those services,” said Mahlmann.

SGA President Sarina Garcia announced in her report that the SGA has been invited to UCP’s annual Friendsgiving event. Garcia also announced that the application deadline to attend the Conference on Student Government Associations has been extended to Nov. 15 at noon. Garcia has announced that interviews for her new vice president has been narrowed down and the executive board hopes to have an announcement for the senate next Monday. Garcia reestablished the role of the senate in the student body. “We are here to advocate to students, and I think that’s something we all have such a firm grip and understanding on,” said Garcia, “What I think is falling short is the execution of those ideas.” She reminded everyone that there is a whiteboard listing things that the students have come to the senate with. “If you guys want to take one of these ideas and work over the holiday break, I strongly encourage you to do so,” Garcia continued.

Library Senator Phebe Leach gave an update on things that will be happening in the library. The library technology services will be moving to room 109 over winter break. The elevators will be undergoing extensive maintenance. The first elevator will be updated from Jan. to March while the second one is expected to be done over the summer. The accessibility computer desks will have computers added to them so it will be easier for students to work together. The Freddie Record anniversary event was a success for the library with 140 individuals in attendance. The library is still looking into placing lockers in various locations as well as securing funding. Leach also told the senate that the Quality Improvement Plan (QEP) draft is partially done. The QEP will include adding digital information literacy to university courses.

Jenkins added SR 29-2 to the agenda. Student Veterans Senator Breanna Cornell brought the resolution to the senate. This resolution would reserve spots in the parking lots for Purple Heart recipients. Under this resolution, the College of Liberal Arts will collaborate with the Veterans Association on TAMU-CC to paint these new spots. SR 29-2 was adopted unanimously. Jenkins then congratulated Cornell on her upcoming graduation. Jenkins gave a commemoration to Cornell in honor of her service.

During open forum there was discussion on finding a way to add bike racks to the area outside the Starbucks. Garcia also reminded members of the executive and judicial branch that they can be a part of the interview board for the Student Regent and Higher Education Coordinating Board positions. Garcia also included an announcement for Islander Lights on Nov. 22. Athletics Senator Hannah Smyers announced that the men’s basketball team would be having a tournament on Saturday. The senate also received a report on their recent safety walk, noting that there were less issues that were found this year compared to the previous year’s walk.