President opens office to students for Black Islanders Meet & Greet

Students engage with Dr. Miller after taking several photos.

Gabriella Ruiz

Gabriella Ruiz

Gabriella Ruiz

On Wednesday, Jan. 29, Project GRAD, Islander Pledge Initiative, and the Office of the President held the Black Islanders Meet & Greet for Black History Month. The meet and greet allowed students to voice concerns and interact with TAMU-CC President Kelly M. Miller.

The event follows another Black Islander Meet & Greet that was held in the fall.

“This campus is designed to support students, and I want students to know that,” said Miller. “This is an opportunity for this group, but other groups as well, to really share concerns, or ideas, or thoughts they have.

“One of the efforts that we undertake with enrollment growth is to really work to grow our African American student population,” Miller continued. “We’ve done a fantastic job with being a multicultural institution. No group on campus is a majority, so that’s what it means to be multicultural.

“We’ve been serving as a Hispanic institution for years, but our demographics in African Americans students matches the city of Corpus. Since we attract students from outside of the area, we really need to be increasing our African American student population.”

Myra Davis, chapter president for Alpha Kappa Sorority, enjoyed attending the event and connecting with other students.

“My favorite part was getting to actually see the President’s Office,” said Davis, “and getting in there to hang out and take pictures. It was a really good event, and we got to have a lot of good conversations about different things on campus.”

“I really enjoyed getting to talk to fellow African Americans,” said sophomore Sally Uzomba. “I also found it exciting to have the opportunity to talk to President Miller.”

For more information on events happening for Black History Month, click here for the full calendar.