A game of giant Jenga topples at the Campus Activities Board table. (Matthew Tamez)
A game of giant Jenga topples at the Campus Activities Board table.

Matthew Tamez

Campus organizations tell students what they’re about at 2020 Org Fest

January 31, 2020

With the spring semester of 2020 now entering its third week, the University Council of Student Organizations hosted the Back to the Island Org Fest on Jan. 29 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Back to the Island Org Fest is an event where different organizations, sororities and fraternities on campus can set up a table and interact with students.

Attendees were treated to food and drinks during the event while some organizations offered interactive activities, such a giant Jenga by the Campus Activities Board (CAB) and soccer balls from the Women’s Soccer Club to kick around.

Matthew Tamez
Members of the Women’s Soccer Club kick around soccer balls in front of their table.

The Islander Green Team is a club focused on sustainability and community involvement. Among many projects, they run the compost program and help students with the Islander Gardens on campus.

CAB hosts a number of activities every semester, including the tag game of “Humans Vs Zombies.”

“We put on events for other students,” said Maria Rodriguez, the coordinator of traditional marketing for CAB. “They are open, they are free and sometimes we have food, sometimes we have fun activities happening. … It’s pretty much fun activities for students to come to during the week.”

Flattering Fitness teaches pole fitness on campus, but one of its goals is to help people grow their self-confidence along with their strength.

“What we do is we provide a safe environment for people to feel flattering in the most sensual sense,” said Jordan Allford, president of Flattering Fitness. “We have a wide array of people from different ages, different weights, different sexes, everything. There’s no discrimination in any way, shape or form. All we are about is making yourself feel better while getting better.”

Matthew Tamez
Students sign up for mailing lists to stay informed about organizations.

Sororities and fraternities such as Sigma Gamma Lambda and Sigma Pi also tabled at the festival.

“The most important thing that fraternities are about, especially Sigma Pi, is brotherhood,” said William Hammond, the vice president of Sigma Pi. “If you don’t have brotherhood, then everything else is kind of useless.

“The biggest thing that Sigma Pi is,” continued Hammond, “is that we are building character. We are all about building leaders and people that contribute and give back to the community.”

If you missed Org Fest but would like to learn more about the organizations at TAMU-CC, click here to be taken to I-Engage.