TAMU-CC’s Men’s hoops falls to Sam Houston State

Freshman guard Jordan Hairston driving down the court against Sam Houston State on Jan. 29

Courtesy of Islander Athletics/TAMU-CC

Courtesy of Islander Athletics/TAMU-CC

Courtesy of Islander Athletics/TAMU-CC

On Jan. 29, The Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi men’s basketball team fell to Sam Houston State, 80-61, at Johnson Coliseum in Huntsville, Texas. With the loss, the Islanders mark their record as 9-13 on the season thus far, while having a record of 5-6 against conference opponents.

“It was just a struggle for us,” said head coach Willis Wilson. “… We’ve got to learn how to handle success. We didn’t have a lot of good moments, but when we did have good moments, we were very competitive, making runs, etc.”

During the matchup, junior Myles Smith scored in double figures for the 13th time this season and the 29th time in his career with 13 points. The point guard went 6-for-6 at the free throw line, grabbed five rebounds and had three assists.

Following, freshman guard Jordan Hairston scored a team-high 15 points with three rebounds, and three assists. He connected on seven field goal attempts and knocked down a three pointer.

The Islanders overall shot 38.9% (21-for-54) from the field, going 12-for-29 (41.4 percent) in the second half. The team outrebounded the Bearkats 38-35 on the night with multiply Islander athletes adding to the stat sheet. Tony Lewis went a perfect 5-for-5 from the field, finishing with 11 points and five rebounds. Jashawn Talton-Thomas scored three points with three rebounds and one assist. Nolan Bertain knocked down a pair of three pointers and finished with six points, four rebounds, one block and one assist.

“The message to this team would be we got to value little things,” said Willis. “We’re not mature enough nor are we good enough to take anything for granted. … The little things make a difference.”

The two programs will meet again on March 4 at 7 p.m. at the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi, Texas.

“Preparation is everything when going into an upcoming game,” said junior guard Myles Smith, “… including a game plan.”