SGA senate meeting 02-03-20

SGA senate meeting 02-03-20

Jonathan Garcia, Reporter

TAMU-CC’s Student Government Association Feb. 3 senate discussed topics like the resignation of the treasurer, appointment of a new senator and coming event like Fresh Food Friday.

Speaker of the Senate Morell Jenkins called the meeting to order and started with a moment of silence to those affected by the shooting that took place on Feb. 3 at Texas A&M University-Commerce residence hall, where two women were found dead and one toddler was injured.

Jenkins introduced Special Assistant to the Provost Dr. Jerel Benton where his duties include doing special projects specifically surrounding student success initiatives and data analysis for the provost.

The provost also has a new communications coordinator Deshawna Colvin, where in addition to communication, she will be overseeing commencement as well as sit on the homecoming committee and the Waves of Welcome committee.

President Sarina Garcia announced that Treasurer Clayton Swift resigned due to his class schedule this semester. This means that some members of the Executive board will be given treasurer duties, and the Special Funding Committee will be overseen by Vice President Laraib Fatima.

Garcia then appointed junior Mechanical Engineering student Muhammad Ahmed as the new International Senator for SGA, which was passed unanimously. Ahmed’s duties would include working with SGA and the international student community to enhance the university’s diversity efforts as well as increase international integration among the students.

“I want to be the voice of the international students,” said Ahmed. “I see them isolated. I want them to be as much involved as all you guys are with the community.”

Garcia said that she would be looking for someone to serve a term for Student Fee advisory committee with the recent athletic fee increase that was passed, and reminded everyone to let her know if they might be interested in serving.

Advisor Dr. Lisa Perez let SGA know hat she received a notice that the Affordable Learning Tools committee will be starting on campus.

Department Head of Research & Learning  of the Mary & Jeff Bell Library, Lisa Louis,  met with the senate about opening educational resources for students, reducing costs of learning materials by making college more affordable.

Perez also added that they are looking for students to represent SGA year-long, and from there, they will appoint others going forward. Meeting time is yet to be determined, but Perez will let Louis know who might be interested in serving possibly.

Perez concluded by announcing Fresh Food Friday will be at 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Feb. 14 at the University Center Anchor Ballroom. There were over 600 participants at the Jan. 24 one and hopes to break the record for most attendance.

Colvin discussed at Open Forum from the Provost’s office about the change to graduation cords that was approved last November that will be in effect this Spring commencement. Only those who achieved academic honor or are a member of an academic honor society can wear cords. Stoles, pins and medallions can still be worn. Any update on any graduation cords is to be notified by the University to know how many will be presented at Commencement.