Two sisters were killed and infant injured at Texas A&M Commerce

Sisters+Abbaney+and+Deja+Matt+were+killed+on+Feb.+3.+Abbaney+Matt%27s+son+was+injured.+

Courtesy of Facebook

Sisters Abbaney and Deja Matt were killed on Feb. 3. Abbaney Matt's son was injured.

COMMERCE, Texas — Two sisters have been killed in a violent attack at a Texas A&M University- Commerce dormitory in East Texas on Feb. 3.

Jacques Dshawn Smith, 21, was arrested for capital murder of multiple persons, along with one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The victims of these crimes are Abbaney Matts, 20, her sister and fellow peer, Deja Matts, 19, and Abbaney Matts’s two-year-old son.

According to the Texas A&M-Commerce Police Department, the son of Abbaney Matts was reported to have been shot in the foot during the altercation. After being treated for non-life-threatening injuries, he was released into the custody of extended family.

The incident took place in Pride Hall, a place of residence for students attending Texas A&M- Commerce. Updates provided on the university’s website confirm that the incident was being investigated during the early morning and afternoon hours on Feb. 3.

Courtesy of Texas A&M Commerce
Pride Rock is a co-ed dorm that opened in 2011 at Texas A&M Commerce.

Police believe that Smith was Abbaney Matts’s ex-boyfriend and became hostile after a tumultuous break-up. University Chief of Police Bryan Vaughn said officers responded to a noise complaint around 10:17 a.m.

Following the attack, questions have been raised about the assailant’s criminal history. According to Dallas News, on Jan. 27, Abbaney Matts filed a report on Smith, telling Dallas Police that Smith had beat her violently with a frying pan and a lamp. Smith fled the scene but was arrested during a routine traffic stop. The suspect was released on $15,000 bail, with the minimum of $1,500 posted.

Texas A&M University President, Mark Rudin, issued a statement explaining the next steps in safety for students on campus, “We are issuing the Campus Safety Action Plan for immediate implementation. … This will be a dynamic, fluid document that will be continually improved, and updates will be communicated on our website. Our only option is a sustained, continuous improvement of safety on our campus.”