TAMU-CC welcomes ire’ne lara silva for 23rd Annual Authors’ Day Workshop

ire%E2%80%99ne+lara+silva+signs+students%E2%80%99+copies+of+her+book+%E2%80%9CCuicacalli%2FHouse+of+Song.%E2%80%9D+

Vashti Rosa

ire’ne lara silva signs students’ copies of her book “Cuicacalli/House of Song.”

TAMU-CC welcomed award winning poet ire’ne lara silva for the 23rd Annual Authors’ Day. Students from high schools across the Coastal Bend joined in a day of language, literature and writing.

Every Spring for the past 23 years, the TAMU-CC’s English department holds Authors’ Day, a time of learning and expression. This year, over 100 students from Miller, Moody, Carroll, King, Collegiate and Tuloso-Midway attended a workshop that was led by silva.

Arianna Aloia
ire’ne lara silva speaks to attendees before reading from her book.

The workshop kicked off with lunch for the students followed by several free-writing exercises. silva created a welcoming and accepting atmosphere for all students, offering encouragement and support to those who had difficulty opening up.

Silva released her fourth book of poetry in 2019, “ Cuicacalli/ House of Song,” a collection of poetry dealing with art, loss and grief. The title is of Nahuatl origins, the language used in Southern Mexico and by the Aztecs. silva spoke of her life as a female Hispanic and the struggles her people and ancestors have faced in a rapidly changing world.

“Poets and writers are houses of songs,” said silva about why she wrote her book. “Those stories live inside you. Furthermore, it goes beyond just individuals, the community becomes a house of song.”

silva explained that her stories are not only documentation of trauma and history, but of healing and growth, as well.

silva is currently working on a novel that will be released this upcoming year that discusses the issue of environmental justice and pollution in the Valley. The novel will also encompass the stories of people who were unable to express their true identity and have been forgotten by the present society.

She also has an upcoming short story collection that will explore the conquest and loss in Hispanic history and how art has been able to keep its culture alive.