Performing Arts Center bringing new concerts to the stage, as well as one familiar one

Sybarite5

Sybarite5 is a string quartet with a wide repertoire of music.

Matthew Tamez, Managing Editor

Towards the end of the month the Performing Arts Center will be bringing four performances to the main stage. While many of these concerts are full priced events, students with a valid SandDollar ID may purchase tickets at the box office for only $7.

The Glenn Miller Orchestra will be returning to the PAC on Feb. 20. The Glenn Miller Orchestra is a mainstay of the Ferguson Bravo! Series and is an amazing part of the lineup. In their previous performance, the Glenn Miller Orchestra exceeded expectations in talent and expertise. Tickets are $35 or $25 depending on the seat however the student discount is valid.

Following the Glenn Miller Orchestra will be Sybarite5 on Feb. 22. Sybarite5 is a string quartet from the east coast. “They play an eclectic repertoire,” said PAC Director James Moore. “They play anything from Radiohead, to John Coltrane, to new, young composers. But they also play some classical music as well. … They also engage the audience during their performance.” Tickets will be $15 or $10 depending on the seat with a discount available for TAMU-CC students with valid ID.

Montopolis
Montopolis is an Austin based ensemble that will be playing during the Living Coast multimedia event.

In partnership with the Harte Research Institute, The Living Coast by Austin Based Ensemble Montopolis will be performing at the PAC on March. 4. It is a multimedia presentation with music, spoken word and video shot around the coastal area. “We got a grant from the Texas Commission on the Arts,” said Moore, “It’s part of a push that I really want to continue to sort of grow and collaborate with other parts of the university beyond just music.” Tickets for children under the age of 12 will be $5 while tickets for nonstudents will be $10. Students will still be able to enter at $7. Activities will be available during The Living Coast. The Harte Research Institute will be talking to audience members about the Gulf Coast and how it is changing from a natural and industrial perspective.

Finishing out the Ferguson Bravo! Series on March. 7 will be “Call of the Wild,” a one-man performance based on the book by Jack London. “The timing is actually quite good,” continued Moore. “There’s a movie coming out in a few weeks, so we’re excited that we are able to offer something a little bit more beyond CGI and something that is a real experience for an audience.” The show is family oriented. Children under the age of 12 will also be admitted to this show for a discounted $5. Students will be charged $7 and general admission will be $10.

The PAC certainly has many interesting performances coming in the next month. While student discount tickets must be picked up at the box office, general admission tickets may also be purchased online.