TAMU-CC’s men’s basketball misses the mark in game against SFA

Stephen+F.+Austin+holds+the+Southland+Conference+lead.+

Courtesy of Chad Keyes/ISLANDER ATHLETICS

Stephen F. Austin holds the Southland Conference lead.

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Reporter

On Feb. 12, the Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi men’s basketball team fell to Stephen F. Austin, 75-67, at the American Bank Center in downtown Corpus Christi. The Islanders fall to 10-15 overall and 6-8 in Southland play while SFA improved to 22-3 overall and 13-1 in league action, holding on to their first place standing in the Southland Conference. The game featured 12 lead changes and nine ties. There were 53 total fouls called and 55 free throws shot combined between the two teams.

“I thought we played hard, said Head Coach Willis Wilson. “I thought we played really hard, …but I feel we missed a lot of opportunities. We didn’t score the ball particularly well in either half. Got to give credit to their defense, but I felt like we had some open looks. … Some shots in the interior we were supposed to make, and we didn’t.”

The Islanders shot 42.9% from the floor (21-of-49) and connected on 18-of-23 foul shots (78.3%) including a 10-for-12 stretch in the second half (83.3%).

Freshman guard Jordan Hairston had a team-high 17 points with three three-pointers. Hairston added two steals, an assist and a rebound in 30 minutes of action. Jashawn-Talton Thomas scored 13 points with four rebounds, two blocked shots and one assist. He also went a perfect 5-for-5 at the charity stripe.

“Right now, we need to focus on not turning the ball over,” said senior guard Jashawn-Talton.  “We just had too many turnovers tonight. A lot of times we were missing assignments on defense and even on offense we were missing our cuts and not getting to the spots we needed to.”

Myles Smith scored 13 points with a pair of three pointers. Smith had three assists, three rebounds and one steal while hitting 5-of-6 foul shots on Wednesday night. TAMU-CC’s defense forced 20 SFA turnovers, recorded six steals and blocked three shots. The Lumberjacks were held to just two three pointers in the evening, going 0-for-3 in the first half from behind the arc.