SGA senate meeting recap 02-17-2020

SGA senate meeting recap 02-17-2020

Jonathan Garcia, Reporter

TAMU-CC’s Student Government Association discussed parking, recruiting future Islanders and the passing of a new resolution at the senate meeting on Monday, Feb. 17.

Speaker of the Senate Morell Jenkins called the meeting to order by introducing Vice President of Enrollment Management Andy Benoit, who talked to the senate about TAMU-CC recruiting students across America.

“We not only want to recruit students here from our local area in the Coastal Bend,” said Benoit, “we want to extend our footprint all over the state of Texas, but also to our surrounding communities outside of the state.”

Benoit added that they are looking for the brightest future Islanders and announced that they hosted an open house last weekend where students from Vietnam visited the campus.

University Police Department Chief Alan Guiterrez followed as the next speaker, who encouraged the senate to raise any concerns to UPD. One of the topics was about the Parking Committee Meeting and parking in general.

Senator Louis Adam Chavez asked where the money obtained from parking citations go to, which Guiterrez confirmed that it goes towards parking facilities on campus.

“A big-ticket item that is to maintain parking facilities,” said Guiterrez. “You drive anywhere on campus, you see that some of the conditions of the parking lots need a lot of attention and repairs.”

For President Sarina Garcia’s report, she touched on the meeting on the grievances about ParkMobile has had on students on parking spots being taken due to the designated zones for it.

“I was assured that they are aware of the same complaints,” said Garcia. “They are all taking that into consideration moving forward with ParkMobile.”

Garcia also reminded the senate that they are currently in phase one of ParkMobile, and that it is evolving as they figure out how it will run on campus over time. She follows up with her meeting with Provost Clarenda Phillips in regards to the cords and stoles regulation in effect this May graduation.

“In our discussion, she talked about phasing in the stole requirements beginning in May graduation,” said Garcia. “Not going in full force on it, but just allow us to phase out the cords and phase in the stoles.”

Garcia concluded that Phillips and her office are still looking into student concerns and will notify the SGA on any updates on this matter.

The senate ended with the open discussion regarding S.R. 29-5 Code Blue Notification Resolution. Garcia explained that the documents don’t limit or specify to whoever the committee is that is going to decide how it is implemented.

The resolution was passed with no objections barring grammatical errors and the Code Blue Notification Resolution.