Islanders come together for Homecoming 2020’s Lighting of the I

Courtesy of Mar-Com/TAMU-CC

Students watch the Lighting of the I, a short but long anticipated event during homecoming week.

The Lighting of the I is a symbolic tradition at the Island University, an event that has been celebrated since the university’s first homecoming. Students and faculty gather to celebrate the Islanders that have gone before and the ones that carry on the Islander pride traditions today.

The event took place on Feb. 27 at 6:30 p.m. on the East Lawn and Anchor Plaza, bringing in a celebratory crowd. Students showed their support by wearing blue and green apparel and bringing their sense of Islander pride for the event. The band played a variety of popular hits, including the theme from the new “Joker” movie.

President Kelly Miller, the first female president of the university, took to the stage to encourage fellow Islander students and to express her excitement for the upcoming homecoming game.

“Are you the best? You are!” said Miller. “We love having you here. We love this spirit. Keep it up, keep it going and be proud to be an Islander.”

Vashti Rosa
TAMU-CC’s band plays as members of the Homecoming Court are introduced.

Following Miller’s appearance, the Islander basketball team introduced its players and the Homecoming court. A university faculty member took to the stage to begin the ceremonial Lighting of the I, the peak of the evening’s festivities. As the metal frame burned, students took part in chanting the Islander Fight Song and Alma Matter.

Caitlyn Mosely, a third-year Psychology student, has been present at the Lighting of the I since first attending her freshman year.

“It’s a cool tradition that we have, getting to celebrate being a family and community,” said Mosley. “My experience being a student here has just been amazing and this event is a great way for my friends and I to show off our Island pride and support our friends who help make this university a home.”

The Lighting of the I sparked a wave of support for the team at the Homecoming game as students cheered them on for a win. The TAMU-CC Islanders women’s basketball team defeated Incarnate Word 56-50 early in the day on Feb. 28, and the Islanders men’s basketball team defeated Incarnate Word 78-70 during the official homecoming game.

The Islanders men’s team is now in 8th place standing in the Southland Conference. With this win, TAMU-CC students, faculty and supporters wrapped up Homecoming 2020 week with a slam dunk.