3.17 Letter from the Editors

We first want to acknowledge the difficult time this is for everyone on campus and in our community. As a large number of Island Waves staff members are graduating this semester, we know that current circumstances have caused a number of anxieties revolving around classes, work and staying safe. 

We fully stand behind the university’s decision to move to online classes. Even though this will be a big change for those of us who do not take classes fully online, it will ultimately prevent further spread of COVID-19.

In case you are unaware, the reason why social distancing is so important is because it does what many scholars and public health officials call “flattening the curve.” This does not completely prevent anyone else from contracting COVID-19, but it instead allows our health-care system to care for everyone who becomes sick. We already see in Italy what happens when a health-care system becomes overwhelmed, and we must do everything we can to prevent those who are most at risk from becoming ill.

Courtesy of Connie Hanzhang Jin/NPR
This graph shows how “flattening the curve,” or slowing the rate of spread, will help prevent health care systems from becoming overwhelmed.

Once we are back from this extended break, we will do everything we can to keep the campus population up-to-date on current events and news so we can all stay informed of the best way to keep each other safe. In the meantime, please read all university memorandums, updates from the Center for Disease Control and World Health Organization, and make sure that you are fact-checking all information before sharing it with others. 

We have plans to change our print issues for the rest of this semester into an online format to provide access to all as we cannot return to campus. We will keep you informed as we make decisions. 

Please practice social distancing and wash your hands. As college students, the majority of us are not at great risk from COVID-19, but we can give the virus to immunocompromised people and the elderly. The decision to stay home is made for those around you who cannot choose.