TAMU-CC classes go fully online amidst COVID-19 pandemic

Jonathan Garcia

Student Activities Coordinator Stacy Rowan assists an international student over the phone at TAMU-CC’s call center.

Jonathan Garcia, Reporter

On March 16, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi’s President Dr. Kelly Miller announced classes will be held online for the remainder of the Spring semester.

“We were looking at what the CDC had to say … and the A&M system working with my colleagues in the area,” said Miller. “Just a wide discussion and looking at information that was available, as well as information that we were receiving from students who had concerns in multiple directions and how we could best serve them.”

“We are excited that the University is now assisting in the digital transition for our academic courses as well as our services for our community,” said Associate Vice President of Teaching & Learning Technologies Dr. Michelle Singh. .

With the outpour of questions from concerned students about the semester, TAMU-CC created a call center. Singh mentioned that one of the most asked questions is resources offered online for those who aren’t taking online classes this semester.

“We currently enhanced several of the resources available to our students,” said Singh, “including creating a digital resource course within Blackboard.”

This course will include on-demand tutorials, PDFs, frequently asked questions and tips for students on how to navigate the digital courses for this semester.

Miller said that the university has been prepared for transitions like this due to hurricanes, and they are working hard to aid students that are taking labs and clinicals that are strictly face-to-face.

“There are a few classes like nursing clinicals and a few of the labs that will require some face-to-face component,” said Miller. “We are looking at simulations for nursing, no more than 10 in a group, and those upper-division science labs will likely have to meet face-to-face.”

Miller said they are also working to ensure students will still have the chance to work together and interact with each other online.

One of the many concerns raised is the May graduation for the upcoming seniors. Although the CDC currently advised for no gatherings over 50 people, and Governor Greg Abbott just announced for gatherings to be no larger than 10 in the state, Miller promised that the graduating seniors will have a chance to walk the stage whether the ceremony is delayed or not. A final decision will be made April 3.

For any questions or concerns you have about the transition to online, you can reach the call center at 361-825-9999 or by e-mail at [email protected] To read more campus updates, click here to be taken to TAMU-CC’s dedicated coronavirus updates page.