COVID-19 positive cases continue to rise in Corpus Christi; stay-at-home order issued

Courtesy of Catherine McGinty/KRIS 6

A university employee works to disinfect high risk objects in a nearly empty University Center.

At 4 p.m. today, March 25, the City of Corpus Christi announced that there are now 14 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Nueces County, along with the enactment of a stay-at-home order that will begin tomorrow, March 26, at 11:59 p.m.

This news comes just two days after the city released information on March 23 that six people tested positive of the 20 people tested locally for COVID-19. In the course of two days, the amount of confirmed cases has over doubled.

Information offered by the Center for Disease Control and the City of Corpus Christi states that of the confirmed cases, only one was contracted by person-to-person contact while the remaining cases were travel related.

Nueces County Judge Barbara Canales issued the stay-at-home order for Nueces County, and it will be in place for two-weeks.

A stay-at-home order is different from a shelter-in-place order in the fact that there are no serious legal repercussions if an individual is found in violation.

“We want you to go outside and breath fresh air,” Canales said. “You can go outside if you practice social distancing of at least six feet.”

Corpus Christi residents have been encouraged to practice social distancing, the act of limiting social activity with other people to limit the spread of the virus.

TAMU-CC’s President Dr. Kelly Miller has reached out to students and faculty in response to the stay-at-home order for Nueces County. The university began online classes earlier this week and confirmed that classes will continue uninterrupted online.

“Faculty and staff must work remotely unless deemed essential to be on campus,” the statement read. “Critical aspects of our business operations are considered essential under the order, and these will continue.”

Facilities on campus that will remain open and used by appointment only, including on-campus housing, dining services to-go, student health and counseling services, and computer labs.

As the situation develops, students are encouraged to take advantage of the services available to them by university faculty and staff and to keep up-to-date with any communication directly from university officials.

For further information regarding health and social updates in the community and on campus, The Center for Disease Control and Prevention and the City of Corpus Christi continuously update their websites information pages. To be directed to these pages click on the links below.

The City of Corpus Christi:

https://www.cctexas.com/coronavirus

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

TAMU-CC Coronavirus Updates:

https://www.tamucc.edu/campus-announcements/coronavirus.html