TAMU-CC students struggle with housing amid COVID-19 virus

Courtesy of Mar-Comm/TAMU-CC

Students leave campus housing to return home.

Vashti Rosa, Reporter

Move out day has come early for many on-campus housing residents. On March 25, American Campus Communities announced via email to students that those who live at Miramar or Momentum campuses have the option to finish off the remainder of their lease or to return home and submit for a prorated refund.

Prorated refunds are offered to those who formally cancel their housing contract by submitting a Mobile Move Out Form to the leasing office. For those who intend to stay, assurance was offered that they would be well taken care of.

“We will remain open and able to serve those that wish to continue living in housing through the end of their lease term,” read the email.

“For those who choose to stay, rent will still be due as per the lease terms, and you will not be eligible for the credit to your university account for fall 2020.”

Despite efforts to make the transition as smooth as possible, other factors come into play with a student’s living situation.

Tranyse Herron is a second year Biomedical Science major attending TAMU-CC. Herron is a native of Houston and made the decision to stay in Corpus Christi after the number of COVID-19 cases began to rise in her home city.

Herron is a resident at Momentum Village and made the decision to keep her apartment until the end of her lease. Herron is one of the many students who have raised concerns over the lack of financial assistance for those who decide to fulfill the terms of their lease agreement.

“I don’t like it,” said Herron. “It’s weird when you move out then are kind of forced to come back home early. Even though I’m returning back to school, it still sucks as a whole, and I think the rates should drop or be waived until the end of the semester.”

“The housing office only gave financial options for those not returning to their apartments, not to the ones who are staying,” Herron said.

While there are varying opinions regarding the matter, other students have taken a more understanding approach on the issue.

Madison Birmingham is a freshman this year at TAMU-CC and was deeply affected by the university’s transition from in-person to online classes. Birmingham is a resident at Miramar Apartments, the on-campus housing option for students.

Birmingham is one of the many students who decided to cut their time on the Island early and move back home.

“I believe the solution they’re presenting us with is reasonable, especially since our meal plans are being refunded,” Birmingham said.