Spring 2020 Commencement Ceremony postponed

+Students+line+up+during+the+May+2018+Commencement+Ceremony.

Courtesy of TAMU-CC Marketing and Communication

Students line up during the May 2018 Commencement Ceremony.

Raul Alonzo Jr., Reporter

The Spring 2020 Commencement Ceremony has been rescheduled, according to an email sent Wednesday by TAMU-CC President Dr. Kelly M. Miller.

The announcement follows efforts undertaken by the university to limit large gatherings and promote social distancing as part of global efforts to stem the spread of the COVID-19 virus, also known as coronavirus.

“The safety and wellbeing of our students, their families and our community are paramount,” Miller said in the email. “There is no doubt this is disappointing for many, myself included, but this is a rescheduling, not a cancellation. All graduates from the Spring 2020 semester will have an opportunity to walk the stage at graduation and receive recognition for their outstanding achievements in person.”

The email stated that the Summer 2020 Commencement, scheduled for Aug. 8, would be expanded to include Spring graduates. Spring graduates can also opt to participate in the Dec. 2020 or May 2021 ceremonies if they are unable to attend the summer’s.

Despite the ceremony change, Miller said degrees would be delivered as scheduled. They will be conferred on academic transcripts on May 29 and will be mailed out beginning June 19, according to the email.