Easy meals for the struggling student

Vashti

Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Vashti Rosa, Reporter

As a student there is hardly enough time in the day to complete homework and attend to life, let alone cook a healthy meal. Here are a couple of recipes that can be made with ingredients already found in your kitchen and if not they can be bought for just $5.

The grilled cheese sandwich is a classic go-to dish for a quick, affordable and satisfying lunch. What makes it so easy is the minimal preparation, short cooking time and guaranteed soul and body comfort.

For this you will need only three things, four if you are feeling fancy.

• Bread (Two slices)
  • Mayonnaise
  • Your preferred cheese (Two slices)
  • Optional: Dill leaf

Step 1: Place a pan over medium heat and let sit for two to three minutes. Generously spread a layer of mayonnaise on the back of each slice of bread.

Step 2: Place the bread, mayonnaise side face-down and add one to two slices of cheese on top. (Dill is a fantastic garnish for this dish, a little goes a long way.)

Step 3: Take your other slice of bread and place it on top, mayonnaise side up. Grill until each side is golden brown or toasted to your liking and you have yourself a delicious homemade meal.

The key to getting the golden-brown crunch is the spread. Mayonnaise has a higher smoke point than butter, making it less likely to burn the back of the bread. Using mayonnaise will also ensure the toast stays crisp rather than becoming soggy upon serving.

Now it is time for gourmet dinner using the college favorite, instant noodles, as the base. For this meal, only three ingredients are needed to ensure you get the protein and vegetables necessary for a healthy diet.

• One pack of instant noodles
  • Two eggs
  • One pack of frozen vegetables

Step 1: Take a medium size pot and fill halfway with water. Place the pot on medium heat and wait for the water to come to a boil. Once the water has boiled, stir in a generous amount of frozen vegetables and stir for a minute.

Step 2: Crack both eggs into the pot and let them sit with the vegetables until the egg whites begin to cook slightly.

Step 3: Carefully place the ramen on top of the eggs and vegetables, avoiding breaking the egg yolk. Cook until noodles are at the consistency of your liking. Stir occasionally before straining all excess water and serving with the seasoning packet included in the noodle packaging.

Gourmet College Dinner (Vas)

In three easy steps, you now have a protein rich meal that even your mother would be proud of. While these dishes are not by any means packed with nutrients, they do the job when trying to save money and get those assignments in on time.