Spring Break 2021 has been cancelled

TAMU-CC+has+decided+to+cancel+spring+break+in+light+of+the+coronavirus+pandemic.+

Jolina Limary/ISLAND WAVES

TAMU-CC has decided to cancel spring break in light of the coronavirus pandemic.

Karina Garcia, Riptide Anchor

On Oct. 23. President Kelly Miller informed the Islander Community that the university has taken on the final decision to terminate Spring Break for the 2021 spring semester. 

This means that classes are to start a week later on Jan. 25. “We will observe a one-day break from classes on Wednesday, March 17. Classes will end on Wednesday, May 5, and exams will begin on Friday, May 7,” Miller said in a memo. 

Additionally, the campus offices will remain open on Jan. 4. following winter break, and commencement will land on May 15 according to the memorandum sent by Miller.

“Now is not the time to let our guards down. Please remember to wear face coverings whenever you are around others, practice social distancing, wash your hands frequently, perform your daily self-monitoring, and do not report to campus if you meet criteria from the self-monitoring checklist or aren’t feeling well,” said Miller.

English Major Caline Forward says she personally feels comfortable with this decision. ¨I also think that not having spring break is a very safe move for TAMU-CC. My roommates still go out and party on the weekends to this day, even though I have expressed my discomfort about it.

¨It is frustrating, annoying and quite thoughtless of students to go out and feel like everything is normal because they have never got it themselves or have never seen anyone suffer from the symptoms of COVID-19,¨ says Forward. 

Forward also adds that she has not had a break from her studies since last winter break, and with winter break now extended, “not having to worry about classwork for about two months sounds phenomenal.”

History Major Hexiquio Rodriguez Jr shares a similar sentiment,  “I believe (spring break cancellation) is to reduce people traveling during spring break so I see why, I agree with their decision even though it may upset some students, but in my belief it will prevent another spike of covid cases like we had previously.”

Nishant Patel, a junior mechanical engineering major is also in agreement with the decision, “It’s good that they cancelled spring break because there is a lesser risk of COVID-19 because the people who travel in the middle of the semester to the cruises, to different countries, to different states, which might bring COVID-19 to campus.”

Miller thanks the university populace for their cooperation. “Our fall semester has been very successful because of your cooperation, and I am grateful every day for your commitment to safety.”

It is critical for students to report positive coronavirus test results to the TAMU-CC system in order to help identity contact tracing, and reduce the spread of the virus. For more information on campus updates regarding the coronavirus visit the TAMU-CC website and check our coverage for more updates.

This story has been updated to show that classes will actually start a week later, not a week earlier.