Enjoy a spooky Halloween at Boo in the Blue

Cleo Bretz

Texas State Aquarium

Vashti Rosa, Reporter

The Texas State Aquarium has transformed its exhibits into a spooky attraction, offering discounted tickets for students and families during the Boo in the Blue event.

Boo in the Blue is the aquarium’s way of bringing the festivities to the community, with Halloween decorations and attractions for young and old alike. This year, each area is set up with different photo backdrops around the aquarium for people to capture the moment. There are also candy stations set up for children and guests to enjoy a sweet treat while browsing the animal exhibits.

Director of Marketing, Sales and Communications as well as TAMU-CC Alumni, Jennifer Vela, has been a longtime member of the aquarium’s staff and was promoted to this position in 2018. Since then, she has worked to build the presence of the Texas State Aquarium in the community and was the key coordinator for Boo in the Blue this year. “We traditionally have Boo in the Blue the last weekend before Halloween but this year we decided to do something that was more appropriate for high volume crowds and decided to hold it over the course of three weeks to ensure the safe attendance of everyone who wanted to come,” said Vela.

“It’s a safe environment here at the aquarium and we really wanted to encourage families and people in the community to visit us,” continued Vela, “We offer complimentary masks and follow social distancing and sanitation guidelines to make sure everyone is and feels safe.”

Along with the festive decorations, staff members dress up in fun appropriate costumes with the divers in the fish tanks wearing skeleton costumes over their gear while feeding the animals to really promote the Halloween spirit. The Animal Care and Dive department placed skeletons in some of the exhibits along with other Halloween themed decorations.

Recent TAMU-CC graduate Jasmine Chavez received a B.A. in biology in May 2020 and has been a part of the aquarium family since 2017. Chavez currently works in guest services and encourages community members and university students to participate in the festivities. “I haven’t seen too many TAMU-CC students during Boo in the Blue this year, we always have student discounted tickets,” said Chavez, “If you are someone who is interested in fish and mammals that are in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea, coming to the aquarium is a great way to learn; even as an employee, I’m always learning about our animals.”

The Boo in the Blue event will continue until Oct. 31. For more information on ticket pricing and exhibits, visit https://www.texasstateaquarium.org/.