Nursing students doing what they can to limit the spread of the coronavirus

Vashti Rosa, Reporter

On Jan. 29, students in the Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi College of Nursing and Health Sciences volunteered to distribute the first round of COVID-19 vaccines to the Coastal Bend Community. 

Faculty members and over 30 students volunteered to administer over 9,000 doses of the Moderna Vaccine to people as part of the Phase 1A and Phase 1B Texas rollout plan at a mega vaccine clinic in Robstown, Texas.

Concerns have been raised by the general public regarding the long-term side effects associated with the vaccine, despite rigorous testing and study by the Center for Disease Control. Nursing student and volunteer at the rollout, Jordyn Ray, opted to get vaccinated but expressed mixed feelings about it. 

“I was/am still a little skeptical about it,” said Ray. “I personally would have liked to wait a little longer before receiving the vaccine, because it is a little scary. But realistically, I got the vaccine because if I can do my part in ending COVID by getting a simple shot, wearing a mask and socially distancing, I’m going to do it.”

Third year nursing student in the COHNS program, Kaitlyn Winters, was eager to assist in the community effort and received her vaccine after volunteering at the mega center along with other students. 

“A small chance of side effects for a couple of days from the vaccine is better than laying in a hospital bed intubated or mourning the loss of a loved one who succumbed to COVID,” said  Winters. “Although the vaccine is new, I trust the scientists and medical professionals involved in the creation and testing of the COVID vaccine.” 

Third year nursing student and volunteer at the event, Sarah Marigolos, intends to get vaccinated the next time it becomes available to her. “It’s great to consider that fact that if you get the vaccine you are helping lessen the curve and protecting yourself and loved ones around you,” said Marigolos.

“As a nursing student I am taught that one of the major jobs I will have as a nurse is to help educate my future patients and to be their advocate,” continued Marigolos. “It is important to realize that many people already have developed their own perception about the vaccine; it would be my job to correctly inform them and answer any questions they might have about the vaccine while keeping my patient’s best interest in mind.” 

Texas will continue its Phase 1B rollout, prioritizing people 65 years and older and those with a condition that places them in high risk.  The vaccine is expected to be available to the general public by Spring 2021, according to the Center for Disease Control’s predictions.