TAMU-CC holds a Pfizer first dose vaccination clinic site with more on the way

Courtesy of Peter Tamez

Edna Tamez prepares to receive her vaccine shot at the American Bank Center

Alexis Garcia, Reporter

Nueces County and The University Health Center at Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi held a first dose Pfizer coronavirus vaccination clinic site on campus, April 1. They will also be holding a first dose Pfizer clinic on April 9 at 9:00 a.m.

The vaccination clinic was open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and was held at the Sand Dollar parking lot on campus. 500 vaccine doses were available to students, faculty, and staff by registration, and an additional 500 vaccine doses were available to the public for those 16 years and older on a first come, first serve basis. 

Franklin Harrison, the Director of Planning & Constructions for Southeast Services Solutions at TAMU-CC, talked about getting the vaccine and why. “I got the Pfizer vaccine and that’s the one I actually prefer to get,” Harrison said. “The reason I got it is to protect the Islander family, we all should get it and wear our masks still and do whatever we have to do, by me getting it I’m protecting you.” 

Elizabeth Peterson, a professor for the Department of Music at TAMU-CC, talked about her reasoning to get the vaccine as well. “Safety for me,” Peterson said. “This is a horrible disease so if the vaccine can help and I think studies have shown so far it’s better to get the vaccine than not.” 

This is the third vaccination clinic that has been held at TAMUCC. The first one was held for campus front line healthcare workers, and University first responders on Feb. 4. The second one was a Johnson & Johnson clinic for anyone who fit in the Phase 1A, 1B, and 1C categories. 

On March 29, the State of Texas permitted anyone over the age of 16 years old with no pre-existing conditions to get the coronavirus vaccine. Until then, the vaccine was only available to limited people depending on their age and health conditions. 

On Dec. 14, 2020, the vaccine was available to front-line healthcare workers and residents at long-term care facilities, known as Phase 1A. On Dec. 29, 2020, the vaccine entered Phase 1B and was then available to people 65 or 16 years and older with a health condition that could increase the risk of severe coronavirus illness. On March 3, schools and licensed child care personnel could  get the vaccine. On March 15, the vaccine entered Phase 1C and was available to people between 50 to 64 years of age.

While it is unknown when the campus will hold another first dose vaccine clinic, the University Health Center website will be updated for future vaccine distribution events.