The Green Knight Review

Nicolas Perez, Web Editor

In a time where adaptations from one medium to the other are so prevalent, the stage is set for so many fans of the content in its original form to be amazed, disappointed or even just unmoved by the new representation. Today I will be giving my impressions of The Green Knight by studio A24.

Unlike many others, I was not required to read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight in high school. This in mind,I read the story that the film was based on to prepare myself. I chose to read J.R.R Tolkien’s translation . After reading the famous Arthurian tale it went into my catalog as a favorite, that being said, I have my own criticisms. The biggest issue that I had with Sir Gawain and the Green Knight was that Gawain seemed unrealistic to me. The Green Knight addresses that in a way that makes the character much more relatable and human than the original story.

This, however, is not the only change in the film. While the main plot and overarching story are true to the original work, there are some added parts and changed roles for characters in the movie adaptation. The parts that were added and not from the original works, were very well done. Not only do they offer a more interesting journey than that of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, they also make more room for studio A24 to put their little twist on it.

For those who don’t know, A24 is the studio that brought Hereditary and midsommer to the big screen. Two big themes that  give A24 films that trademark feeling they have are nature and the use of magic and rituals. The Green Knight has a  mysticism and horroresque feeling that the original tale lacked and I think it is a great addition to the story.

Personally, I did not  agree with the addition of two characters in particular. Some scenes and minor plot points were affected by the addition and change in the characters in question. I felt as though there was no need for one and the other could have been left alone entirely. Other than this, I have no complaints about the movie. I loved it and very much look forward to what sort of spooky mysticism A24 can bring to the table next. You can catch their next film Lamb on October 8, 2021.